Thursday, September 28, 2006

A Freak Show???

What is a "church freak show"? What does that even look like?

I was at walmart with Leasa. We were buying paint and supplies to redecorate our Kids room (before our new carpet comes). The lady operating the check out stand asked us what it was for. We said for a room at church. She then asked what church. We told her. Then she proceeded to ask "what kind of church is that. What do your beliefs entail" It caught me off guard. I was thinking in my heard "do you mean our 16 fundamental truths?". Good thing Leasa answered her. Then she said that she didn't have a problem with God, she just has a problem with people. That was funny. I asked if it was about feeling accepted, etc. Then she said, "I want my kids to know more about God. I just don't like it when they go to church and they get a freak show." I was just thinking "what does that even look like." I didn't quite know how to respond. I just said, "that we're real people try to teach kids about real life and how God plays into that." (i was going off our youth/kids tagline, should have just quoted it - real people, knowing a real God for real life.) She then asked where the church was. As I was telling her, she wrote it down on a piece of receipt paper. She asked about service times, if there was stuff for kids, and if a parent could sit in with kids. Leasa assured her that our church was a fun place to be as a kid or adult. Then we were leaving. She said, "well I may come." I welcomed her and told her we'd love to meet her family.

It was neat. but left me wondering what does a kids church freak show look like? What churches did she go to that left her that impression. Maybe that's like "BibleMan" shows with all those costumes, ect. I don't know. What would you consider a church freak show. How are we supposed to listen to outsiders if we don't even know what they are talking about?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mag,


i am going to be in canada thur, fri, and part of sat for a school conference.

So, i am not going to be able to prep well for you unless we pow wow early. [not that i prepped well for you this last week. but felt i should communicate it, anyhow.]

hope your day was well!

holly

maggie said...

holly,
have fun in Canada. take this sunday off from kids church. enjoy sunday service with Pastor Jon, sleep in, stay another night in canada and shop. oooh the possibilities.

thanks for letting me know.