Monday, October 02, 2006

Life changes here.

Well Jorge is taking the plunge! He's joining the Prism diet - TONIGHT. Well I suppose it's not just a diet, it's a lifestyle change. There are several different phases. The first one is the hardest, and then slowly more food choices are added. Scary stuff. You know even after stuff is added back in; it's weighing your food, counting calories. Everyone I know that's been through that diet has one of those food weighers and a FAT book. Even Cathy is getting into this calorie counting thing. She just asked me to check how many calories in a piece of watermelon, "check please before I eat it."

I pray that I can be an encourager. I can be such a stickler for the rules that I often don't praise little gains. Or I focus more on minor losses. I think I'm already flunking as an encourager. We were talking last night about what his weight goal would be. He told me what he thought. I thought it still sounded like a lot. I told him a weight and he said that was way too skinny. So I asked him to give me visuals, people we know that weighed the right amount. We kept mentioning different people. He kept saying I was picking too skinny people. I didn't think I was so I went to the BMI website. The weights he was saying were on the overweight side and the one's i was saying were on the lower end of the normal weight side. He couldn't believe it.

I say that I flunked as an encourager because I should have just encouraged him to lose the weight he wanted and then trust that when he got there he would see it wasn't enough and go for more. Instead I was taking him to the extreme and he was feeling like that was an unreachable goal. I think, if you're going to go on an extreme diet program then you might as well aim high. But then I suppose you should just take baby steps. Anyways, I pray that I will be a blessing to him through this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well what can I say. The BMI says a lot about different things. First are you overweight, then are you underweight, and then are you just right. It also suggests where in the catagory you fit. What it doen't tell you is that muscle is heavier than fat. Look at your fist and compare that to a gallon of milk. Your fist represents muscle and well you know what the milk represents. One thing to keep in mind is that Jorge has a lot of muscle. If you read the fine print on BMI sites it also says that someone that is muscular may weigh more and still be healthy. You can take a body builder for example and they can be the same heigth and weigh upwards of 250 pounds. Would you call them fat? Just keep in mind that you want your husband healthy not skinny. Right?

abelara said...

dear anonymous,

jorge does have muscle . . . but he ain't no body builder that's for sure. granted he may build muscle as he's getting healthier, but frankly i don't think a "body builder" body is ideal either.

besides bmi by definition measures fat in relation to height, not weight in relation to height.

IMHO>>> mag you should have encouraged jorge at his current goal, and then when he reaches it hold out a new standard. remember "baby steps"!

i'm also working on my weight, i haven't drastically cut my caloric intake yet though. i've simply been exercising more. i want to lose weight gradually with choices over time that will change my lifestyle. i think if i tried something as drastic as cutting my current calorie intake by half or more it may get results but wouldn't last long term.