Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Daddy

My dad. As far as I can think back I remember holding onto my dad and swinging in circles around the room - dancing. I wonder if my kids will remember things like that. I really do - its not that I was always told about it, but I actually remember it. When I was young, my mom says, I told someone matter of fact "i know my daddy loves me, and that's that!" What else did I really need to know in life? I could be a world genius - but sad and alone with out the love of a father. You know they say that babies in orphanages can have all their physical needs met, but without love they die. So I think about that - many times I wish my dad would have done different things with us (you know typical dad stuff - camping, ball games, etc) - but when I really think about it. He did a good job of the most important thing - making sure we knew that daddy loved us. I have lots of memories with the cows at the ranch. He loved that - his form of recreation. He did have some sense of a balanced life - he did Pastoral work, but he also worked his cows for the fun of it. Makes me think - do I have the same balance. What part of my life is just for me to enjoy? When I look on his life . . . he did have a lot of things right. I consider him to be a wise man, anointed. People continually came to him for counsel. A very patient man, slow to anger. I can't really remember when he was angry. I don't remember him getting after us kids much - or even my rambunctious boys (well sometimes!) I have fond memories of his with my young girls. The first years of their life, he was there almost everyday (and we lived in Yakima). He would lay on the floor and let them climb all over him. I even remember the first time I let him "babysit" my kids. The girls were 2 years. He was "sick" but still able to walk around. I had to run downtown, my girls were asleep. So I went for it. I wasn't sure what to expect when I returned. I came home to smoke all over the kitchen. My girls had woken up, crying. My dad got up from his sleep (boy did he like to sleep) and was trying to make them breakfast. He was frying hot dogs - burnt hot dogs! But I was so proud that my dad actually was making an effort. He did what he could. In many ways, he opened our home to many people. Single people, and families who needed a place to stay. He did what he could for our family. We didn't have it all, but we didn't need it all either. As his life changed, it was hard to see. The life that he enjoyed so much, diminishing. Yet, people still came over to seek his wisdom. Even me. When I really wanted to know - I still asked my dad. He didn't let me down. He was a man of intentional words. When he spoke it was because he had something to say. I appreciate every moment, every memory. Even these last days, when he was awake and Jeremiah would play catch with him. When I first laid eyes on his body - after he passed - there was a sense of peace. It was peaceful for me to see him without breath, than struggling to breathe. I love my daddy. I want my daddy. But God knows my daddy. I close my eyes and I watch as he dances around heaven holding my baby in his arms - just as he once held me. Now that is a beautiful picture to imagine.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

what a great happy memory post. i had happy good feeling memories all around until the second to last sentence - i started crying. good crying.

-----
oh there were some really great memories!!

do you remember . . . helping dad in his shop, and then riding on top of that motorcycle on our way to CALIFORNIA!

that's something that i do actually remember, although the picture we have helps reinforce it.

do you remember . . . when he puckered his big ole lips to tell chaddiwick that if he wanted to kiss you he'd have to kiss him first!

do you remember . . . going to friday night spanish church after a football game or basketball game and entering the church just find him alone praying, crying out to God.

yes, i knew my daddy loved me too.

Anonymous said...

Maggie,
It sounds like by your post that your father has passed away. I'm sorry to hear about that because I know it's a sad time, but I also know just like it was with my father that he's in a better place and feeling better.

I could relate to your wonderful post, all the memories of my father, how we didn't have much in money or possessions, but I knew my father loved me and he was a good man of God.

I'm glad your father is free from pain but I know you'll miss him. There's still not a day goes by that I don't miss my father or think about him and wish I could see him and talk to him. I could always know if nobody else loved me my father would and he would take care of anything he could for me or give up anything.

I hope to hear more news soon, maybe in the paper, but I at least wanted to comment and let you know I read your blog and our prayers are with your family.

May God Bless You all and give you peace and comfort.

Love to the Najera's and Lara's!

Anonymous said...

My daddy loved me too. I remember laying my head on his lap as he was driving his truck to the ranch while you and abe were at school. That's when I would have my daddy time. I remember asking him how come people ride horses but they don't ride cows. Then him picking me up and putting me on the back of a baby calf. Just so I could fall off and learn why. I remember helping him with upohlstry and being in charge of making buttons. but I wasn't strong enough to pull down on the machine so I would have to use my full body weight and hang from it to make a button. It was fun. I remember daddy being hungry and mom being too tired to cook. While i'm in my room doing homework. To hear the car start. I ran outside to find daddy in the driver's seat (after his license had been taken away) with the wippers going full blast (it wasn't raining) the head lights on with the drivers seat still in mom's position and daddys squished in because he was going to go buy a hamburger. So I pushed him over and drove him to El Caporal and had a great father daughter dinner. And I remember how happy he was so see me come home on my last surprise visit, because his baby came home. There is no way to not know that daddy loved me. He loved me/us very much