Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Grandview here we are.

I feel like we became grandviewites this morning. We got up and went for a walk through downtown Grandview. We went in about every business (except all the insurance offices). We looked at what they had to offer. We even got the boys haircuts at a local salon. Found an antique store that I didn't know was there. They have appliances and other furniture. It sounded kind of funny at the hair salon. Jeremiah at first didn't want to get his haircut - because "we don't come here". Then I told him we live in Grandview now and I wanted to get to know some of the places in Grandview (not like we ever got haircuts in Prosser of anything, but I thought - let's see what the locals have to offer). He said, "yeah a new place". But it so sounded like we had moved from far away! It was a very enjoyable walk, and I enjoyed looking around Grandview.

I have been very blessed with the generosity and service of others with my new home. We've been discussing "joy of giving and serving" at church this whole month. This week is "bringing it home" and I have about 5 min. to share. I am being a bit inspired. I hope to have a short slide show put together. Bringing it Home - it''s the real thing. I sit in my living room and think "is this really my home!" The downstairs is just days from being done (if we get back to work - since getting the upstairs "pretty much" finished we haven't been such workaholics). Tomorrow everyone will be sleeping in their own bed, in their own room.

Family. I miss my mom. I think about her everyday. Although I have still managed to see her at least every other day. She stops by when she subs in Grandview, and I've gone over to get more stuff. Today was special to me because Jorge gave my mom a key to the house. That meant a lot to me. If she's subbing in Grandview she can come over and raid our fridge for lunch even if we're not here. She can let herself in and greet us when we arrive home. I had my brother's family over for dinner on Monday. I enjoyed cooking for them, and figuring out how to seat so many people! The table extends so it was big enough, but I was short on dining chairs. However I did have computer desk chairs and a bench step ladder that with a towel on served as a bench seat. I love the upstairs/downstairs thing. Kids could play down there and we could still carryon a conversation.

I put up some curtains last night - living room. I sort of miss watching the cars go by. I remember my dad used to sit and watch out the window. I guess people watching runs in the family. Every once in a while I see one of you people I know on your way to Safeway. There are so many semi trucks that pass by. I don't know, I just look and think about the people and their lives. On the go. All the dads working at night driving those trucks and working at the warehouses. Jorge works afternoon/evenings on the weekends. I'm used to it now. When he started I didn't know what to do with my time. Now I usually spend it with people in someway. Either I spend it with friends or I babysit for someone (usually if people ask me to babysit, I say yes on the nights Jorge works - out of respect for family time I want to leave other evenings - well tuesday and friday (wed. church, thurs. small group) available for us. So that has become my general rule of thumb. When I watch the trucks go by, I wonder what their wives and kids are doing. Are they spending time in community with people. Are they home just wishing their father/spouse was home. Are they having special bonding moments with their kids. Maybe they are just watching TV. Well anyhow it gives me lots to think about when I look out my window.

2 comments:

abelara said...

it's nice to have you close by. and it's nice to see you guys in your own place again. :-)

welcome to grandview!

Anonymous said...

congrats maggie on ur house almost being complete, good to hear ur exploring grandview and making it ur home, alyssa and i used to live there, we liked it :) see you on sunday.
Jennifer