Friday, November 30, 2007

Rachel made me cry!


I was baby-sitting on Monday afternoon while Deb had a doctor appointment.  All the kids had gone downstairs to play and it as just Rachel and I upstairs.  Rachel had made her way on top of the kitchen table, so I grabbed her.  I was holding her and Klove was on so I began to dance around the house with her.  I wouldn't say she 'loved' the experience.  She just sort of looked at me, half smile here and there.  But she didn't protest.  So I kept twirling around.  I started tearing up an everything.  I haven't nailed down why.  Did I cry because -I don't have my own little one to twirl around with, and oh how I want one - or because I've never really twirled around with Rachel before so maybe I feel like man I don't even know this one! - or maybe it reminded me of my dad and Abby.  I don't know - but I did cry (thank goodness everyone else was downstairs), and she just let me twirl as I wanted.  It was a great moment.  I stopped a minute to take a picture because I wanted to remember it.

We got a new van.  Well you know what I mean - used, but new to us.  It is a 96 ford windstar.  It is a year older than my white car - but a year newer than my old van. We sold our car to Manny who was happy to have a car - although he needs to practice driving stick!  The experience was a great reinforcement of the FPU principles of not borrowing money.  I was telling Jorge "can you believe this van is a year newer than our old one - and we paid way over 3x as much for our other one because we financed it - and not to mention got a good deal for paying cash on this one."  Manny was also happy to have a car without a car payment.  So its light blue, tinted window, and has "captains chairs" - only  a bench seat in back, middle and front have separate seats.

So what do you all eat for Christmas?  I am wondering what we are going to eat for Christmas? I'm not really wanting a "thanksgiving round two" - I'm not much of a turkey fan, we too have turkey still in our fridge.  What would be special - not so ordinary.

Oh, Susan - I hope your new job is all you hoped and more.  Also we're trying something new out with our dog.  We've fixed up the front yard for her so she can run around unleashed - hopefully she doesn't push too hard on the front gate - or realize that if she stands on the steps she can hop over the fence (that's how her backyard jumps started at mom's, standing on something and realized she could).  We do let her in quite a bit now -since yesterday.  We'll see how it all works out.  Just thought you'd like to know since you were so concerned with "being tied up is no life".  Hopefully she is enjoying her life more.

Oh yeah.  My kids got sort of unnerved by a car that past by.  They were all playing in the snow yesterday morning and a car at the stop rolled down their window and said "aren't you kids supposed to be in school - did you get kicked out".  Cathy came running in to tell me.  I asked what their reply was - none of them said anything back.  Cathy didn't want to go out anymore.  She sat at the window and said she saw the car come by a few more times.  Jorge didn't care.  He said he was going to say "we're home-schooled and we're at recess".

Ok.  That's all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maggie,
Sweet post! Congrats on the new van. I hope we don't have to get one for a while. We're over 80,000miles now and had to have some work recently. The last time I got hired for a job (school) I totalled our van and had to buy another one. I don't want that to happen this time with this job. I don't want to spend my pay increase on a car payment.

I'm glad to hear about Heidi. I have to admit she's been on my mind and I've been worried about her...especially with the bad weather lately. I've drove by a few times when I've been in Grandview looking to see if I could see her.

BTW, thanks for a great day visiting you in your new home. I really liked everything. I think your living room is my favorite spot. It looks so pulled together and planned. I really like the colors and it feels warm and inviting. I liked your whole house...the kids rooms and play space. I'm sure my kids wish they had that type of set up.

The new job is going great. I did go to Mt. Vernon for a couple of days with some of the staff. It was awesome. They treated us so special and the expense account seems endless. All meals out, Starbucks, awesome hotel with a room to myself (yeah). I've also been taken out to lunch twice here in Prosser. There's a big office Christmas party planned too.

It just feels surreal and it doesn't even seem like it's me sitting there. I'm just taking lots of notes now and trying to learn stuff about my new job, but it doesn't seem too pressure packed at this point. Everyone has been so nice to me. It was a wonderful move for me and looking back on it now I can't believe I could have found a better job or place to work than where I am now. I feel truly blessed.

Jim told me today that Tim S. did go to my job today. He's happy, I'm happy, but I could name a few people that won't be happy! After the weather change you don't know how often I think daily about how grateful I am to have escaped recess duty.

Well, I better go. As far as Christmas, I'm thinking we'll probably have ham (and turkey again - sorry!). Have a wonderful, blessed Christmas season with your family in your new home.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

PS:
Did you ever ask your brother about why his website moves so slowly for me these days? I haven't even had time to get on it to check out his life because I haven't had time to waste trying to get it moving along. I can't even get it to scroll up and down with a giant wait and ordeal.
Maybe he'll know something. I can't keep up with his life and babies at this rate. Thanks.

abelara said...

great post.

so does this mean there will be a "little one" for you to twirl around in your future?
-----

i'm glad you guys stuck to your "FPU" principles and got such a good deal on your van. imagine if you didn't know those principles, you probably wouldn't have gotten such a good deal.
-----

i'm thinking a good "roast" would be good for Christmas. i'm sick of turkey too.
-----

i can see how that would be scary for your kids to get "confronted" about why they aren't in school. ours haven't had that yet. i wonder what they would do.
-----

susan, are you on a high speed connection or dial up? i'm not sure why it would take so long if you're on a broadband connection. are you using internet exploere? maybe try a different browser such as Safari or Firefox.

or you could try subscribing to the RSS feed, it usually loads a lot quicker. you'll need either safari or firefox to load this link below.
http://web.mac.com/abelara/theacousticlife/the_blog/rss.xml

hope this helps