Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Superhero to the Rescue

I'm a weakling. I have officially concluded. It's been a sisterly joke forever, but I'm really feeling it these days. My mom is gone and I'm on daddy duty. Well daddy doesn't like to stay put and apparently neither do I.

I went to church on Sunday night and he didn't stay in his chair (I feel the need to say, my dad is pretty much confined to wheelchair for mobility). He wanted to go to bed so he walked to the TV to turn it of, only he didn't know how so he just sat on the fireplace until I got home. Luckily he didn't turn off the TV or he probably would have fallen on the way to his room.

Monday, I was home. He sat outside for a while. Then I took him to the restroom (did he want to use his handicap restroom, nooo!) I went to do dishes and when I went to check on him he had come out and fallen by the restroom door. I tried and tried, but just couldn't get him up. Finally, I called my superhero (Holly). She lifted him like nothing. It was all her!

Then tonight, I went to church again for a
roundtable (Improving your Serve) I wanted to stop a Safeway. My superhero asked (as usual) if there was anything she could do for me. I asked her if she could stop and make sure that my dad had actually stayed in his chair. He hadn't. This time I don't know what was going through his mind because he was outside. He fell into our rose bushes. OUCH! Superhero Holly found him lying in the rosebushes. She called me and told me "Grandpa" had fallen in rosebushes. This was a much harder lift. When I arrived, there Holly was in the bushes with my dad. He was on his back, his feet up on the cement (by door), and a peach on the doorway. Holly was holding his head and talking to him. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. Seeing my poor dad lying there and my friend being so loving to him (and to me for stopping by). She tried lifting him up, but it was pretty high to get him standing. I tried pulling his arms. Finally, I decided I could yank his shirt harder than his arms. She gave a big lift and push, I pulled his shirt with all I had (not much since I'm a weakling) I did rip his shirt. We got him up and into a wheelchair.

I think that my dad is going to outlive us all. It always seems like he's in his last days, but he sure is resilient. He has fallen so many times and always comes out with not much damage. He had a few thorn pokes and scrapes on his arm but nothing serious. Praise God.

I've decided that if he can't stay put then I'll have to, until mom comes home. I called to excuse myself from church tomorrow. I am still having the Case for Christ Kids Roundtable Experience on Thursday. My superhero will be on boys and Grandpa duty.

A superhero is a character who is noted for feats of courage and nobility and who usually has a colorful name and costume and abilities beyond those of normal human beings. Holly seems to be my very own superhero. She isn't afraid to try and give all she's got, always thinking on what I need, and what would be a blessing to me. She's bubbly and colorful. Don't know about the costume but maybe we could work on that. Any costume designers?

1 comment:

abelara said...

oooh la la, a new look. did you get this by logging in to the "blogger beta"?

anyways it's seems all "secret agent"-like.